April 20th 2023
Well I have good news and bad news… Bad news first, spring tricked us again into thinking we were headed strait into early summer full of dry flies and smallmouth bass. Good news is the cold spell looks as if it’s going away by Monday, with temperatures heading back up to 50-60 degrees (aka) normal spring temps! Now the question is where does that leave the dry fly fishing as of right now? Well, we are hearing reports from our friends around the Au Sable area there were a couple of hennies out and about but no fish keying into them yet, and they have been sporadic at best. Which is okay, it’s to be expected with the temperature flux that we just had, the temps haven’t really effected any of the BWO’s those little guys are still fly around and trout are still keyed into them! So just being patient dry fly time is coming I promise!
If you are heading out this weekend chasing trout it’s going to be a cold one Saturday so break out those jig style streamers and start flinging some meat around wood and drop offs. The streamer bite has been consistent for everyone across the state. Streamer reports from the Pere Marquette have been quite good, there’s a bunch of guys still “chasing” steelhead, with no one really chasing trout so it’s a perfect time to knock the rust off the old shoulder and start stripping streamers. A lot of fish are being caught on blacks, browns, and olives as of late in a range of sizes from 4-7 inches in length.
Bass bite has been slow, but the dedicated anglers have been finding a few here and there. Expect the spring bite to improve as temperatures start to creep up again next week.
Join us at Third Nature Brewing Company on Saturday April 29th for our first ever Trout Opener Party and Gear Swap! It has been a long winter, but trout season is finally here and we are ready to celebrate. Come out to Third Nature between 1pm and 4pm for lunch, a few beers, door prizes, discounts, gear swap, demo rods to cast from Scott and Echo, demo lines to cast from Scientific Anglers, and an opportunity to win raffle prizes from Simms, Cortland, Echo, Orvis, Scientific Anglers, Third Nature Brewing Company, Nomad Anglers, and more!
Do you have a closet full of gently used fly fishing gear that you are ready to part ways with? Well, we have great news. We will be hosting a Gear Swap at our Trout Opener Party! Here is how it works:
- Bring your gently used rods, reels, packs and gear bags to Nomad Anglers Grand Rapids location during business hours between April 17th and April 28th.
- Tell us what you would like to sell it for, and we will put it up for sale at our Trout Opener Party at Third Nature Brewing Company on April 29th.
- If your gear sells, a 10% service fee will be deducted from the sale price of any item sold at the event. The remaining amount will be issued in the form of store credit, which can be used to purchase new gear at Nomad Anglers in the future
- Anything that doesn’t sell at the Gear Swap must be picked up at the Grand Rapids shop between April 30th and May 15th or sold to the shop for shop credit.
- Questions: contact email@example.com
We are looking forward to seeing you all at Third Nature Brewing Company on Trout Opener!
Guide Trips Available!
My end of April is basically full but I do have a couple dates left for Streamer fishing just out side of Grand Rapids. This is the most productive time of year for streamer fishing for trout and bass. I also have May dry fly trips available. These are mostly afternoon till dark trips. Contact me for availability and take advantage of discounts for booking multiple days.
Cell - (248)875-4143
Email - Christian@nomadanglers.com